On longing assignment

 
"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale" 
I was walking around a national park in Denver, Colorado taking in the scenery around me when I came across this small chipmunk on a rock eating a snack. We always look at what's in front of us and not the details in life or in nature, so I wanted to show that small, cute things are quietly hiding around us and we should notice what's in our environment.  

"Nostalgia can not be sustained without lost"
Having two sisters has its perks but I realized my younger sister (on the left) will be starting college and my older sister (on the right) is going to be farther away from our family, starting law school. Realizing that we won't be home at the same time anymore, due to our upcoming different schedules, makes me miss my sisters even now - before they leave.  

"The souvenir exist as a sample of the now distance experience, an experience in which the object can only evoke"
It was a wonderful experience to have a group of friends that I could have fun with at the Flagler Harry Potter event.  The effort and attention to detail that a lot of people put into every detail, from the pins to the stickers - added to the experience. This was my first group experience at Flagler, which only leaves me to wonder how amazing the next one will be.  

"Through narrative the souvenir substitutes a context of perpetual consumption for its context of origin"
Walking with my family and trying to find a good spot to watch fireworks from outside the stadium in Denver was amazing. Seeing all the bright lights forming in the sky and the laughter we all shared formed the narrative of one of our best vacations. The memories of the firework is the only souvenir the I need.  


"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body." 
I have a glass jar with a bunch of mementos of memories that I have picked up during my trips or at different points throughout my life.  I will keep them forever - reminders of special times I might have otherwise forgotten. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog